That’s right, my friends, today is National Doughnut Day. And a day with a donut-in-hand is a very-good-day indeed.
Speaking of this fabulous holiday, did you know:
- The Chicago Salvation Army started the holiday in 1938 as a funraiser–and to honor the women who volunteered to make homebaked goods–including donuts–for the men on the front lines during WWI;
- Donuts made on the front lines were often cooked in a solider’s metal helmet, filled with oil–let us hope the helmet had yet to be used;
- Krispi Kreme is giving away free donuts TODAY; click here for a list of participating stores;
- TODAY Dunkin’ Donuts will give you a free donut with the purchase of any beverage; and
- Fried sugar is actually good for you.
Okay, I may have made up that last bit–but I like to think it’s a fact they simply have yet to discover. So with that, go forth and enjoy one of life’s more sinful pleasures … and may your weekend be the sweetest of sweet!