Adventures call for treats.
Disney Shenanigans, for example: we tend to frolic first, then partake of a leisurely breakfast once crowds arrive en masse. But this girl needs a little something with her morning coffee.
That’s where Oatmeal Breakfast Bars come in . . .
Here’s what you need
- 4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (a mixture of walnuts, almonds, and pecans for us)
- 1 cup flaked cocunut
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup orange marmalade
Here’s what you do with it
- Mix together the oats, brown sugar and salt.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Press into 15”x10”x1” baking pan.
- Bake at 425 until gold brown (approximately 15-17 minutes).
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut and serve.
The original recipe came from Taste of Home’s 2003 Quick Cooking cookbook. Their recipe calls for walnuts, only—this version used up odds and ends. And I’m certain the variety of nuts sealed the deal.
We also made a batch without coconut (texture issues, you know). But I got the batches confused and ended up loving them both.
Also, take a look at those edges—that’s nothing but browned butter & sugar goodness . . .
Needless to say, the next time you think you might want a quick something to grab and munch on your way out the door, maybe a little something for elevenses, do keep this recipe in mind.